Old October 26th 03, 06:46 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"kallijaa" wrote in
:

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
. 6...

Oh, give me a ****ing break! Are you honestly trying to argue
that
instructors have to train somebody to turn their heads because they
lost this ability through simming?

Instructors have to train students to turn their heads because they
have a natural tendency to look forward and at the insturment panel.
The difficulty varies with individuals, but it is a common condition.
Those who have developed, re-enforced and associated the habit with
flying, will have the most difficulty.

Very good, Skippy, you're talking about a routine part of flight
instruction, just like using one hand on the yoke and maintaining proper
mixture. But that wasn't the issue we were discussing now, was it? I
believe we were talking about instructors having a significant amount of
difficulty in un-training someone used to a computer sim from pressing
buttons to look around.

There's a lot more to it than changing of views. The practice of
facing forward, limiting eye scan to a narrow range and associating
that condition with the controling of an aircraft will train a
non-flyer to continue that practice in the air. The habit can be
overcome in most if not all cases, but it does require extra time and
effort. That can easily be the difference between success and
failure.

Since you're offering this so comfortably, you undoubtedly have a
reputable source at hand that backs up your claims. So trot it out. Because
I'm telling you right now you're full of ****.

CFIs have numerous things they have to train students to do, many of
them that the student is not used to doing. This is nothing unusual. You're
going to have to produce a lot more than reiterating basics of instruction
to support your contention that simming, as you indicated very specifically
above, can and does lead to flight school failure, or even (and I'm being
extremely generous here) a noticeably extended amount of time in reaching
certification.

Put your money where your mouth is, Skippy. We're waiting.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain