Old May 11th 04, 12:07 AM
Lee Elson

Default landings (off topic)

Sorry for the off topic question, but I suspect there are quite a few
of you that could help me:

I'm looking for good techniques for teaching student pilots how to
handle the final phase of landing. In particular how to get students
to recognize when the airplane (a Cessna 152 or 172) is sinking or
rising during the flare, then take appropriate action with pitch and
possibly power. I find that it is really hard to get them to
anticipate the loss of lift and control effectiveness that occurs as
the airspeed decreases. I don't know whether they don't recognize the
sink or just can't translate the recognition into action. I've tried
things like having them look out the side of the airplane and giving
"auditory" feedback. Not much seems to speed the learning process.

So my question to instructors and instructees is: are there any
special exercises that you are aware of that can help in this
recognition process?