Old February 25th 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Nick

Default a VERY close call/ armchair pilots

"Steve L." wrote in message
news
Negative collective? .....ROTFLMFAO! Boy I dont think I have that
option
on mine.

What is the pitch range on this helicopter?......anyone?......I 'fly' RC,
but it'd be interesting to know that negative pitch as not
possible.....does
that go for all full size helis?

I know of only one big helicopter that ever had negative pitch (-3°). It
is a military American one; can't recall the type.
The reason for that is that it should be able to do a very quick
vertical descent while hovering just over tree tops.

For all other helicopters it were pretty useless but would cost a lot
because the control rigging would need far more travel.

There is no civilian helo with negative pitch, not even 0°. The minimum
pitch might be as high as +4°.

Thanks for the reply. But what happens during autorotation to keep the
headspeed up? ......headspeed will surely decay very quickly at +4degrees?