Old October 27th 03, 07:19 PM
robert arndt

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
m...
Here's what I found at -

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmari...perations.html

"Attacked by a squadron of four-engined long range bombers stated in
Russia. One bomb hit on the
bow. The Tirpitz is out out of action."

Who knows what these planes were? Were they Soviet or British/American
stationed in the USSR?

Avro Lancasters of 617 squadron BUT the date on that site is wrong.
The attack described took place on on15/9/44 .

For a full account see
http://www.nucleus.com/~ltwright/Sink-the-Tirpitz.html

Keith

The Lancasters flew from Yagodnik, near Archangel. There were 27
aircraft: 20 armed with Tallboys and 7 with Johnny Walkers.
As for Russian attacks on Tirpitz, I know only of only two confirmed
accounts. One was by the K21 submarine in 1942 (a miss) and by Russian
bombers on Feb 11/12 1944 ( a failure). There is another reported raid
by Russian bombers in Oct '44 but I haven't read anything conclusive
verifying that.

Rob