Old April 1st 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Vertical Card Compass?

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...

I have pretty much decided that when the one I have breaks, I'll probably
replace it with a SIRS compass:
http://www.sirs.co.uk/aircraft%20light.htm

O.K., but the gent asked about a vertical card compass repair, SIRS only
appears to produce conventional wet compasses.

As another poster suggested, the obvious "repair" may be to replace the
Hamilton with a Precision PAI700 vertical card compass (Chief Aircraft and
others). Around $300 with mount. One piece, no electronics except for the
light.

Be aware though that some have had difficulty in keeping these units
accurate. One web site suggests that an installation using a magnetized
screwdriver knocks these things permanently off their gimbals. I have had
one go toes up.

I had one (PAI) in my Bo 36 for four years with nary a glitch. The
installer, IR, mentioned removing ALL magnetic interference during the
install.

Even if they do die every couple of years, I will still replace them given
the useless (whiskey compass) alternatives.

Agreed..in spades.