Old November 2nd 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Gliding risk....

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 8:54:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I quit reading when the data presented listed motorcycling safer than ‘gliding’. By 100%.
Hmmm.....don’t think so.

R,

About motorcycling versus gliding, and the former being safer, but does not seem to be that way. It is difficult not to quickly compare things without using apples to apples. Been there, done that.

I am no statistician but there are two things that spring to mind;

- How many motorcyclists are there versus glider pilots? Certainly many more.
- How many motorcycle trips (or miles) are taken in a year versus glider flights? Certainly many more.

So even if there are many more motorcycle fatalities than glider fatalities the number of FATALITIES PER TRIP (or MILE) are STATISTICALLY less for motorcyclists. Thus motorcycling is considered "safer". Hmmm, indeed.

How about car travel? Accidents are very common and we have all seen them and maybe even been in a few. On the other hand very, very few of us has even SEEN a glider accident or, thankfully, been in one. So it would SEEM that car travel is much more dangerous. Not so STATISTICALLY. There are immensely more car trips (or miles) than other forms of transportation (except airline per passenger mile) so car travel is STATISTICALLY safer than everything else.

But I would rather fly a glider than drive a car.

"Not a Stat Guy" John