Old August 30th 03, 12:25 AM
Ed Rasimus

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Arrgghhh. He's a regular Jonathan Hemlock with the Laphroaig. I'd
rather drink the Hemlock than the malt if it had to come from Islay.

Seriously (or maybe not) it always reminded me of a barrel of rain
water that had a couple of charred logs from last week's campfire
soaked in it.

Now McCallan or Glenmorangie, there's a dram of nectar.

It is easy to deduce that you aren't an ale or [gasp!] stout fan
either. No appreciation for potables with character.

Perforce, I am familiar with and fortunately enjoy both McCallan and
Glenmorangie, since few enough local places carry any single malts
beyond Glenfiddich and Glenlivit, and fewer still have a wide
selection of single malts. Most often Glenmorangie and McCallan
generally are the additions beyond the bar-standard Glenfiddich/livit
choice.

Well, after many years flying military jets around the world (there's
the link to the newsgroup!), I developed an appreciation for most any
fermentation beyond Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, Coors Lite, MGD or Lite.

My regular is Sam Adams Lager, but the Boston Ale is better--just not
commonly available in bars. Stout is good in small doses, but stout is
as stout does....and I got way too stout. Guiness remains "good for
you".

As for the single malts, Balvenie in sherry or port cask versions is
nice and Dalwhinnie or Glenkinchie show up in my liquor cabinet
occasionally.

A friend bestowed a bottle of McCallan 18-year old on me in
celebration of my book. At $100/bottle, I'm saving it for a special
occasion, or my imminent demise, whichever seems a more pressing cause
to pull the cork.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled: