Old December 30th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Walters[_2_]

Default First Visit to Minden questions

On Dec 30, 6:30*am, akiley wrote:
Hi,

I'm a flat land glider pilot with 70 glider hours of which 35 are in a
standard Cirrus. *I'm doing a week trip to Minden this winter as a
familiarization and glider checkout adventure. *SoaringNV.

There is almost endless info available on the web, and I'll get help
from an instructor, but here are a few random questions.

Unless there is wave, I'm thinking of just getting high tows maybe 6k
AGL. *This will put me near the Pine Nut range, or a little above the
big ridge to the west. *If there is no lift I won't be able to wander
much.

1. At this altitude, with flight durations of a half hour, should I be
contacting NorCal? *Or is that something that one does when the flight
is higher, longer duration, or closer to Reno?

2. How much wind does it take against these ridges to hold altitude
using ridge lift?

3. Off topic, but I might drive from Minden to visit Williams Soaring
Center. *I was raised in Vermont driving to ski areas, but the
Sierra's seem pretty intense. *Any recommended route? *Any way to
check driving conditions and to know if my rental "economy" car will
suffice?

4. Any other advice welcome.

... Aaron

Aaron

Soaring NV will explain the jet routes into Reno. No contact is
required local to Minden, but if you get above 12,000' you should
monitor their freq. Reno tower is friendly and very familiar with our
ops. Ridge soaring takes 10 knots of wind. Occasionally an east wind
sets up allowing an easy run up and down the Carson Range with a view
of Lake Tahoe. A strong west wind will allow soaring above the
Heavenly Ski area. The Pinenut mountains are more difficult to ridge
soar and require thermals to jump the gaps. You can hold on Mt Siegel
(Pinenuts) all day with a light west wind.

Rent a little 4x4 and avoid the chain gang.

Rick Walters