Old August 18th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Default Nephi wrap-up

Little more to say, except this was one of the most fun and best organized events in my soaring experience (started in 1990).
The city and county efforts and welcome were unsurpassed. Got several comments and questions while shopping in town in soaring clothes; saw a couple of folks I encouraged to come to the Open House in that crowd.
Organization by Bruno, Utah Soaring Association, other clubs, and volunteers gave great support and generated the opportunity for pilots to post those OLC flights.
The terrain is dramatic and the soaring challenging and satisfying – all that a soaring pilot could desire.
Mandatory Flarm and encouraged SPOT/similar made for safe flying and easy retrieves. The latter also allowed crew, those at the airport, in town, or back home to feel involved. After calling my ID (B6), location (Junction Apt), condition (Pilot and ship A-OK), and my tow request (Aero, if available), I called my wife, home near Seattle. She immediately remarked that I was no longer moving and was a long way from Nephi. She also liked being able to follow my track between Ephrata and Nephi.
Watch for the 2014 Announcement and Register early! Whatever quota will fill quickly.