Old October 18th 04, 02:25 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Phil Boyer spoke at our annual MAAC (Mid Atlantic Aviation Coalition, a New
Jersey aviation PAC) annual dinner Friday night. He said that AOPA is
desparately trying to get this stopped or at least delayed before it takes
effect on Wednesday. What they are hoping to do is at least get the
requirement reduced to a one-time proof of citizenship examination for US
citizens, with a logbook entry or other permanent documentation, and
something similar (i.e. less onerous than what is currently in the new
regulation) for resident aliens. Unfortunately, I suspect that it will
still be made difficult for non-resident aliens to get flight training here
without some pretty difficult hurdles to jump over.

When I lived in the UK in the 70's, my wife and I had to go in person and
register with the police as aliens every year for seven years, that was
pretty straightforward, but still a bit of a pain.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The TSA stuff. Non US-citizens having to be photographed,
fingerprinted, forms filled in, $130 paid, records kept, all by each
instructor you go to for a BFR (probably) or checkout (maybe).
The instructor has had to go through mandatory "security
awareness" training in order to do all this

Interesting.

I'd be willing to bet that none of the instructors here in Iowa City

know
anything about any of that stuff -- and there are a fair number of

foreign
pilots training here, thanks to the University of Iowa.

Or, at least, I've never heard any of them talk about -- and you would

think
it would be a major topic of discussion.

I'll have to check with them when I next see them.

Thanks, would be interested to hear what they've been told.

There are quite a few threads on this on rec.aviation.piloting...for
instance:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...&lr=&selm=4151
c8d9%241%40news.microsoft.com
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?L24162E89 )

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...0.02861.000000
34%40mb-m01.aol.com
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y45121E89 )

It's not only people from overseas that are affected, it's also US

residents
who aren't citizens.

Paul