Old May 2nd 04, 07:03 PM
Journeyman

In article , Dave Jacobowitz wrote:

I did make some mistakes on the checkride. One of
which was flying on a vector right through the FAC
on a partial-panel VOR-A approach to TCY. I was
behind the plane, had not dialed in the OBS as
quickly as I should have, when I did, the needle was
already on the wrong side.

I caught the problem right away, correcting right
away, and said so out loud. The rest of the approach
was sloppy by my standards, but within PTS limits.
Still, the DE could have failed me right then and
there. He elected not to. Luck.

Not luck. In my experience, most examiners give you one mulligan,
unless they think you're otherwise marginal.

Despite this, IME, most people crash and burn (not literally, I hope!)
on at least one checkride in their lives. I failed the IFR checkride
first time around despite getting my mulligan. Went back, did a bit
more practice, then passed. It builds character.

There's just something about checkrides.

There sure is.

Morris (oh, no, not another character-building experience)