Old November 4th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Whiting

Default 800 number for void time?

Dennis Johnson wrote:
"Bill Zaleski" wrote

I use this number all the time, and get void times regularily.

Hi Bill,

I can't get my clearance by radio at my home airport. I've been taking off
VFR and remaining VMC until I can get enough altitude to get my IFR
clearance on the radio. However, sooner or later, the weather will be too
bad for that. So I'll start practicing for getting a void time from the 800
number. How long is the void time that you usually get? I'm trying to
decide if I have to be at the end of the runway, ready to go, or can I call
and get the void time, then start the engine, taxi out, etc.?

Thanks,
Dennis

When I get a void time clearance at an uncontrolled field, I tell the
briefer that I need say 10 minutes to get ready for takeoff and then
they give you a clearance that has both a valid time and a void time.
It won't be valid until say 10 minutes in the future and then void 10
minutes after that.

Matt