Old September 18th 04, 04:50 PM
Roy Smith

"Mike Rapoport" wrote:
A diesel doesn't cost any more that a piston engine. A STC'd conversion
costs more but, in a new airplane the cost should be the same.

Right. Some people seem to think that diesels are somehow magic. The
basic construction of a diesel and a gasoline engine are almost
identical. The only differences I can think of a

1) Higher compression ratio. This could be done with a longer-throw
crankshaft, a taller piston, a lower head, or some combination of all
three.

2) A fancier (higher-pressure) injector pump.

3) No spark plugs. Which means no ignition system (be it electronic or
magnetos).

4) Possibly the addition of some kind of starting assist such as glow
plugs.

The biggest problem I can see with a diesel is cold-weather operation.
I used to have a diesel car (1980's era VW Rabbit). It was a bitch to
start in really cold weather. If the glow plugs were in good shape, you
were fine down to about 20 F. Once you got down below about 10 F, you
probably weren't going to get it started without a preheat.

Somewhere down around 15 F, normal diesel fuel starts to gel. These are
temperatures commonly experienced aloft even at the altitudes spam cans
fly at in the winter in temperate climates. It would be real bad news
to get the engine going, only to have the fuel gel up in the tanks when
you reached cruising altitude. But, I suppose the Jet-A folks have
figured out the right additives to solve that problem.