Old November 13th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Maule Driver

Default NTSB final report on Hendrick crash

It's a KLN909b GPS I guess. Granted that the crew knew how to use it
and granted that the dating of the database had no impact, the cause
seems to be a loss of situational awareness due in some part to misuse
of the GPS.

It seems that they 'half used' the GPS for this non-GPS approach and
then 'over relied' on the GPS over use of the radio aids. That is, they
setup the GPS to lead them to the FAF but neglected to press the hold
button before reaching the IAF for the hold. No problem with that as
long as you realize what you are doing and continue to use the DME, ADF,
and RMI for identification of the various fixes.

I'll bet this crew could have turned off the GPS and nailed this
approach 1,000 times in a row without incident, or conversersely used
the GPS exclusively with the Loc and NDB out of service and done the same.

Beavis wrote:
In article ,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

He had a GPS, but as a high time commuter pilot in a BE1900,
he didn't know how to use it.

As someone who flew many hours with the captain of that flight, at the
airline that flew those 1900s, I can say without a doubt that you have
no idea what you're talking about.

Here's a cockpit shot of one of the 1900s he flew:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0585758/L/

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to identify the device sitting next
to the copilot's RMI.