Old February 20th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Which is easier: Boeing to Airbus, or Airbus to Boeing?

Capt.Doug writes:

Which Boeing and which Airbus? If the level of avionics is similar, a
professional pilot can adapt to either with proper training.

Given that the two companies have different overall philosophies towards pilot
ergonomy, I was thinking in a general sense, but perhaps with the B737/A320
range more in mind.

Airbus seems to favor the notion that engineers should fly the plane with the
pilot acting only as an attendant, whereas Boeing seems to believe that pilots
should fly the plane with the engineers as attendants. So is it preferable to
fly a plane that absolutely refuses to do what the engineers have forbidden,
at the price of memorizing all the AI that they've built into the aircraft and
having no option if one needs to fly outside the envelope in an emergency, or
is it better to fly a plane that will do whatever it is told in a more
predictable way, at the price of risking serious consequences if one tells the
plane to do something outside of its envelope?