Old February 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Default FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
The FAA's proposal would make it illegal for manufacturers to produce a
replacement or modification part if they know (or should know) the part
would end up installed in a certified aircraft-that is unless they obtain
production approval from the agency.

What jurisdiction does the FAA have over manufacturers? They don't make
'laws', so how can they make something 'illegal'. I realize they could make
life miserable for a company that also produces certified parts, but I don't
see how the FAA can make manufacturing something illegal.