Old June 26th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Clutch switch position

Steve: Emergency autos frequently do not have the optimum landing zones
available and the helicopter can turn over even after a successful auto to
the ground. A lot, and maybe the majority of helo pilots do not practice
complete autos, but practice power recovery types and there is some more to
be learned doing full down autos. The Army found that practicing full down
autos had more damage and subsequent cost than not practicing them.

--
Stuart & Kathryn Fields, Publishers
Experimental Helo magazine

"Steve R" wrote in message
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
A recent incident involving a Rotorway helicopter occurred. An accidental
bumping of the clutch switch dis-engaged the clutch. The resulting
autorotation resulted in a roll over and of course some significant
damage. As I understand it, the switch was mounted in the overhead panel
but the pilot's headset could make contact and inadvertently cause the
clutch dis-engagement. I wonder if the standard switch cover that you
have to lift to get access to the switch itself would have stopped this
occurrence?

--
Stuart & Kathryn Fields, Publishers

Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. It also sounds like having a
protected switch should be a recommended safety item for any critical
function, whether or not the switch is in a position to be accidentally
bumped.

Going slightly off topic, and I'm not meaning to put anyone down here, but
why is it that just about every emergency autorotation I hear about
results in significant damage to the helicopter? Most folks walk away
from them, which is good, but some don't. This seems to be fairly common
even among aircraft that have the reputation of being relatively forgiving
in this mode. Are autorotations "that" critical or are the successful
ones simply not considered to be worthy of news so I'm not hearing/reading
about them?

Fly Safe,
Steve R.