Old September 25th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Barnstormer's "A Year of Soaring"

On Sep 24, 11:04*pm, (Alan) wrote:
In article HoUdino writes:

With the increase in costs of power flying, one would believe a
program focused on power pilots would see some positive results for
soaring. *Thanks for the post!

* You must be kidding. *Gliding costs *lots* more than power flying --
by at least 3 to 1.

* * * * Alan

Not in my experience, ever. The cheapest power flying I ever did was
$19.50/hour wet for a C152 out of the Fort Lewis Flying Club, WA,
circa 1976.

I have fond memories of 50pence ($1US) five hour flights from winch
launches (RAF clubs). In the early 1990's while in the UK, the number
of second launches off the winch I took to commit soaring could be
counted on one hand for the season. Of course 19m and longer wings
help one scratch away on a regular basis.

Frank