Old September 10th 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Cambridge 302 Gear/Airbrake Warning - How to Test?

Why must we continue to try to make everything safe for everyone? Some
people should just NOT be flying aircraft. Or riding motorcycles, or
driving cars. I think we'd all be better served if these folks were told to
stop flying. But then we'd have to ask: "Who certified them as safe and
competent in the first place?"

Sorry if I sound harsh, but there are too many incompetent people in the
world, the result of putting their self esteem above their safety. If they
can't do it, why not just tell them so?

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message
"Dan Marotta" wrote:
If your spoilers "suck open" and you don't recognize it, you shouldn't
be flying.

But those pilots clearly are flying. And are killing themselves and
hurting passengers etc.in depressingly familiar accidents.

In the case of the C302 (and hopefully ClearNav vario) this feature
works very well and I would connect in any glider I owned. The limit
with these things is does having a lots of these alarms just end up
confusing/distractions and can the pilot handle and respond to the alarm
(and given how far behind the aircraft some seem this may be a problem).
But a "it's there problem" attitude and just sitting by while pilots
kill themselves is not going to help this sport or those pilots. And yes
if somebody is clearly having problems with safe spoiler
operation/handling emergencies/distractions etc. my first call would be
time with a good instructor not add a gadget but those gadgets may have
a place as well.

Darryl