Old June 5th 18, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Tape the pitot/static system during storage?

I 20 years, I've never taped the pitot, the glider sitting in its trailer.
Last week, I had to fly 8 hours across the Alps without an ASI reading - a solitary bee had dropped its eggs into my pitot tube and sealed them over...

Now I plug it after landing.
On the ground, pressure variations are +/- 30 mbar. Me going with a plugged ASI to 3500 m gives a pressure change *way* bigger than that didn't harm the instrument' it just read fine a couple of days later.