Old April 9th 04, 07:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Ross Oliver" wrote in message
An article in the Sept. 2000 issue of AOPA Pilot ("Aircraft inspection and
the renter pilot," pg 136) describes how the FAA suspended a renter

pilot's
certificate for 30 days after it was discovered that the annual inspection
of the Cessna 152 the pilot had rented had expired 12 days before the
pilot's flight.

I don't consider that to be an "aggressive" action. I didn't mean to imply
that the FAA never goes after renters for stuff like this. Just that they
don't consider it a major violation, AFAIK.

For what it's worth, I may not check the logbooks every flight, but I do
expect any FBO from which I rent to have some sort of record-keeping and
dispatch procedure that keeps me apprised of when the annual is due, so that
I can avoid flying an airplane that's out of annual. The renter in the case
you mention would have done well to follow a similar policy.

Pete