Old October 24th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Cessna 182P tow plane

On Oct 23, 5:36*pm, 150flivver wrote:
On Oct 23, 5:26*pm, Pam Kurstjens wrote:

Our club (in Australia) plans to use a Cessna 182P for towing, with a
Schweizer hook.
We are looking for some performance information. Does anyone have a Cessna
182P already towing and would you be able to help us out with performance
charts, maximum weight that can be towed, whether the area around the tie
down bolt (where the Schweizer hook is attached) needed to be
strengthened?
Performance figures for a Cessna tow plane of lower engine power would be
of interest too, because we could say it can tow at least that well.
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
You are welcome to email me off directly if you wish.

PapaMike

I think the Schweizer hook will be your limiting factor. *Our
installation was limited to 1200 lbs.

Yes, and if the hook swivels on its single bolt, it can become
inoperable. A Tost hook is preferable is one is STC'd - the retract
winch would be even better.

Performance wise, 182's work well but the limiting factor is engine
temperatures at normal towing speeds.