Old October 24th 11, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

Default Cessna 182P tow plane

On Oct 23, 3:26*pm, Pam Kurstjens wrote:
Our club (in Australia) plans to use a Cessna 182P for towing, with a
Schweizer hook.
We are looking for some performance information. Does anyone have a Cessna
182P already towing and would you be able to help us out with performance
charts, maximum weight that can be towed, whether the area around the tie
down bolt (where the Schweizer hook is attached) needed to be
strengthened?
Performance figures for a Cessna tow plane of lower engine power would be
of interest too, because we could say it can tow at least that well.
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
You are welcome to email me off directly if you wish.

PapaMike

Pam,

Tried and true.

No formal figures but 182C pulls K21's, Grobs and up to 21M ships for
30 yrs in Cal City and a dozen other FBO's. 182A is off the deck at
Jean, NV in less than 2000 ft of runway @ 2844 MSL, tugging an SGS2-32
full gross & 99 degrees F. Little better if you keep airspeed less
than VY.

Also no prob so far with any LS or ASW w/ H20 at similar temps. 2 gal
per tow and .2 tach to 3,000 AGL. Most SEL pilots in our country have
172 and 182 time.

Pawnees are better, but frankly overall overated in some ways. i.e.,
one seat tow pilot check-outs, fabric upkeep, more expensive to
insure, most hoppers smell like bug spray.

Try a "Cessna 182" subject search on this forum and others for decades
of pro's and cons.

Michael