Old August 2nd 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Dead Stick

On Aug 2, 9:26*am, wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:57*am, "muff528" wrote:

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in messagenews:8809a1f297c34@uwe...

Matt Whiting wrote:
Big up on that cat. Dang, I wonder what the measured glide is on an
F-16? *: - @
[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

At least it makes the math easy.
*That 1:1 has to be something other than a
traditional glide ratio.

Matt

'xactly. didn't make sense to me either.

Oh well.

What I get from that article is not that the F-16 will only glide at 1:1,
but that the pilot "established a 1:1 glide ratio and dropped the nose to
capture my computed FO airspeed" at some point(s) along the approach as may
be required/suggested in the F-16 user's manual in the event of a flameout.

BS, TP

Just looking at how clean that airplane is without the external tanks,
it must have at least a 10 to 1 glide ratio. The shuttle with it's
little wings is not that good, but far from 1 to 1

For what it's worth, at subsonic speeds the shuttle is 4.5 to 1. Not
quite a brick, but close!