Old April 12th 05, 06:06 AM
OP

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:58:47 -0000, Skywise
wrote:

Bear with me as I'm not a pilot (someday?) and my
experiences are based on flight sims. Also, I don't
know if this is the best group to ask, but I've been
lurking here for a couple months and you guys seem
like a nice bunch.

I live a couple miles due east of Los Alamitos Air
Station (KSLI) in North Orange County, CA. Being an
aviation nut I enjoy the semi-regular F-18's and
occasional cargo planes flying overhead.

However, tonight, and on a couple other occasions in
the past few months, at around 9-10 PMish there have
been some commercial jets flying extremely low. The
first time I saw it I thought it was on final to Los
Al. It was at about the right altitude. They were
flying west towards the station but just before getting
there, instead of turning left to land on 22 they
turned right a bit to avoid the station altogether and
seemed to head towards LAX. I have followed the planes
in my binocs as far as I could and they seemed to be
headed that way. BTW, I'm about 24 miles from LAX.

I believe what you are seeing are commercial jets going into Long
Beach. If you get on DUATS and call up info on Long Beach airport,
they are currently working on the main runway, 30/12 at night, and
are using the VOR approach to 25/7 while the work is in progress.
The work is being done from 10PM to 5AM local time.

Ron