Old November 10th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.current-films,alt.movies,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Landing a C5 Galaxy in Central Park

WaltBJ wrote:
Sure you can land a C5 in Central Park. Actually, the word is more
properly 'crash-land'. Everybody is going to die and the airplane burn
to ashes but hey - it's Hollywood! Hell, you can land a C5 on a carrier
- if you can swim really well. I think the word I'm looking for is
"Schlockmeister". Sheesh. Wayne, go watch the Israeli movie 'Entebbe'
and see what can realistically be done.
Walt BJ

SNIP

Well to be fair, and to get a word in edge-wise before he gets the
thorough caning he so rightly deserves, the C-5 was drsigned to
operate from short, rough fields. Of course, in the case of of the
Galaxy, "short" and "rough" are relative. So far as I know, no one has
ever attempted "for real" to use the C-5 as an assault
transport....memories of that wheel bounding down the runway sans
aircraft after a demonstration of this "capability" before a
Congressional delegation and a national TV and press pool are still
too vivid in the USAF even after 40 years or so