Old August 31st 03, 08:33 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Stephen Conley wrote:
: I have the most baffling problem in the history of aviation. In
: January, the engine in my Mooney 231 was overhauled by a reputable
: shop. Since then, I can not fly at high altitudes (above 15K) without
: consuming mass quantities of oil. It appears the oil is coming out
: the breather tube.

Do you have a leak from your pressurized mags into the crankcase? If you've
got a leak here, it will pressurize the crankcase more and more as you climb.

Were all the "upper deck" pressure lines hooked up correctly?

Are you sure the oil is coming from the breather tube? You'd have a large
oil mess under the fuselage if you were losing oil that quickly. I would
be more inclined to think the oil is leaking from one of the turbo bearings,
and being burned in the engine or vaporized in the tailpipe.

Please keep us (me) informed, as I am considering a 231 for my next plane.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)