Old October 23rd 04, 12:28 AM
John R. Copeland

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message =
ink.net...
As I understand the new RNAV approaches support three types of =

approach:
=20
Lateral-only navigation (Basically the traditional GPS approach?)
LNAV/VNAV
LPV
=20
Now, IIRC, only the LPV approaches *require* WAAS, while the LNAV/VNAV
approaches support use of barometrically-derived *or* WAAS VNAV =

guidance. I
understand that baro-VNAV is a common function of FMSs, but are there =

any
panel-mount GPSs out there (beside the CNX-80) which can provide this =

type
of vertical guidance with the necessary RNP?
=20
swimming in the bowl of new alphabet soup...
=20
-cwk.

I'm pretty sure the GNS480 (CNX80 with Software version 2) is the only
GPS panel unit yet certified for VNAV of any kind.
No other such unit yet meets TSO-C146a with its 5/second update rate.

Today I flew my very first LNAV/VNAV approach, but I remained in VMC.
The approach was easier than I expected.
---JRC---