Old March 28th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John T

Default Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

"Eamon McKinley" wrote in message

Thoughts & advice would be very much appreciated.

The goal is to put you in an unusual attitude, not introduce you to
aerobatics. I've not had a DE use strong inputs to disorient me during a
checkride and, as others have mentioned, putting you in an unusual attitude
can be done in a disorienting way without un/loading the airplane much at
all.

There was one time I got in a slightly unusual attitude between layers. It
was a combination of sloping clouds and my reading notes on my lap for a few
seconds that did it for me. While the attitude was not serious (only about a
15 degree bank and maybe 8 degrees nose up), it was not "usual" for that
phase of flight - and I didn't feel the slightest G load getting there.

One instructor I used had me close my eyes, look at my lap, then asked me to
turn, climb, level, turn, level, descend, level, open eyes - and whaddaya
know, I was most assuredly not in level flight. Considering how I got myself
into the attitude I described above, maybe this instructor's technique has
some merit.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer