Old August 2nd 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Medical durations for international flight

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:11:36 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

by the way, I was assuming that your FAA certificate is a private or higher
(I don't think it would work with a recreational or sport pilot
certificate, the same way that some other countries have their own local
licenses/ratings that are not recognized by ICAO; for instance like the
UK 'IMC rating' and some national licenses which are not valid outside of
the country; but then, in the case of the British things, it is spelled
out in the license itself)

Good point. I had forgotten about those.

Let me see what is in the regs, that I can find quickly ...

61.101(h) A recreational pilot certificate issued under this subpart
carries the notation, “Holder does not meet ICAO requirements.”

61.315(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
(8) Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization from the
country in which you seek to operate. Your sport pilot certificate carries
the limit “Holder does not meet ICAO requirements.”

So I guess the US follows suit.

Best,
ron -- CP, ASEL, ASES, Instrument-Airplane
--ron