Old January 10th 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Homebuilt Question

Mark IV wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:11Â*pm, wrote:
Mark IV wrote:
Er... well, have you researched the B2 spirit
in detail ever? Â*Or the X47B? Â*Do you know what
the designers at Boeing are leaning towards
these days?

What is your point?

It's self-evident.

Not quite.

Flying wings are intrinsically unstable and are only flyable with computer
control no matter how much you babble about leading edges.

That's not what the people who fly them say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuIFvNA1UgU

Nonsense.

The second YB-49 crashed during stall testing.

Jack Northrop said it was impossible for the YB-49 to do what it actually
did.

The last one crashed during high speed taxi testing from nose wheel
oscillations.

The bombing accuracy was horrible due to directional oscillations.

If flying wings are "intrinsically unstable", then why
did millions of years of evolution not produce birds
with vertical stabilizers.

Who said anything about vertical stabilizers and last I looked there
aren't any real airplanes that look like birds.

And that was "trailing edge", not leading.

So what, it is still just babble.

--
Mark

A flying wing may look neat, but what I said stands; flying wings are
intrinsically unstable and are only flyable with computer control.

That makes them a niche design.