Old May 15th 04, 12:38 PM
Shirley

Bruce Greeff bgpub wrote:

As a safety officer I will add a fourth reason.
4. Accidents create a lot of work for other people.
[snip]
For the last three years, every time someone in
my club screws up, I have to do a lot of paperwork
and review our operating procedures to check that
they are valid. I would much rather be up there in
my glider...

That's incentive if I ever heard it!... sure wouldn't want anyone to have to do
any paperwork or spend time looking at operating procedures! I would hope a
safety officer would gladly give up time that could be spent on a flight or two
reviewing the vallidity of operating procedures at least a couple of times/year
whether it was prompted by someone screwing up or not. Isn't *anyone* screwing
up, even if it doesn't result in an accident and even if it's the LAST person
you'd expect to screw up, always an opportunity for *everyone* to stop and
re-evaluate?

--Shirley