Old March 18th 21, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On 3/18/2021 11:50 AM, India November wrote:
Eric, I'm curious about the wing loadings quoted for the Jeta from 7,58-13,72 lb/ft^2. For the conditions I fly in Ontario where thermals average 2 to 4 kts, I see these heavy wing loadings as a disadvantage even in a flapped ship. I fly my D2 mostly dry at less than 6 lb/ft^2. What am I missing?

Ian, newer flapped designs do well in weak conditions even with higher
wing-loadings. The glider I'm flying at the moment has a minimum
wing-loading of 9.5 lbs/ft2 (and I'm a lighter pilot), but I've never
landed it when someone else was able to climb away. Span-loading helps
(18m better than 15m). Not comparable to older unflapped designs.