Old March 20th 21, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On 3/12/21 1:38 AM, wrote:
On Friday, 12 March 2021 at 04:33:55 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I don't think it will take 15+ more years for electric gliders to be accepted and desired like
gas powered gliders are now. With FES and mast-mounted electrics available from all the major
manufacturers, I think this year is the "tipping point", and sales of electrics will "soon"
increase faster than the gas powered sales; unfortunately, I don't know of any good way to
track sales.

Just one datapoint, Jonker in their latest newsletter reported the following about their electrical JS3 RES:
"The first 5 JS3 RES gliders are currently in production with another 30 planned for 2021."
If they plan to produce 35 electrical JS3s in 2021, I assume that will be most of their production of JS3s. They produced their 100th JS3 last year, 4 years after it was introduced, so up until then average production was around 25 per year.

Of course, they don't have any combustion engine self launch version of the JS3 to compare with, though the heavily delayed JS2 is about to enter production. Don't know any order numbers for that one.

When it comes to 'heavily delayed', nothing can hold a candle to the
GP-14 and 15. In August, we heard they hoped to freeze the overall
design of the units in Q1. As Q1 grinds to an end, wonder what they're
telling aspiring customers now? They've gone uncharacteristically quiet
on social media. The picture of the (former) RK glider sitting in the
snow is getting a bit stale.