Old March 27th 21, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Decision making in ground roll

On Friday, 26 March 2021 at 16:25:39 UTC, ProfJ wrote:

It's kind of fun to have all the experts invalidate my actual lived experience, and also physics. Let's go watch some videos of winch launches, shall we?

Here's Bruno Vassel launching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrUT...el=BrunoVassel . Due to the wonders of actual video evidence, we see the glider taking seven seconds from first roll to airborne.
Here's one from Oxford Gliding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTU...nel=GreatFlyer - nine seconds from first movement to airborne.
Here's one from Mount Beauty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE5J...=GeorgeSkarbek - five seconds to airborne.
Here's one - called "Rather fast winch launch" ! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTU...nel=GreatFlyer - five seconds to airborne.

I didn't cherry-pick these, they were the first four I found where you could see the glider roll. If anyone can find one showing a two-second roll, go ahead and show us.

Yes, it seems like it's two seconds. That's the problem of sensory overload. Apparently even the experience of 1500 launches on a variety of airfields doesn't overcome it.

This one at my club shows the glider in the air after about 2 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ASzIsviAE