Old April 26th 21, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 10:51:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Bob as another said - better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it - this is a rule that is most commonly applied to a big industry "elsewhere." I carry my polymer ballast with me in case of an unfriendly landout location in my motorglider. The added benefit is I can go for a flight when no one is home at the club. Or when the towplane is down.

If you don't want to fly at all - unless it's in a pure sailplane, which I can get - maybe one day humor me and let's go have fun man! No tow pilot required, but it is desired. I'll even give you a headset and pay for the Greta 2 stroke oil and evil, evil gasoline.

I really want to thank you for helping convince me to buy a motorglider! See you at the club man! I hope you get some more flights in soon. I guess it'll take a tow pilot to make that happen? Or will you cave and go for a flight with me? No photos will be taken for Seminole Lake to see. I promise. shhhhh

jbl, thanks but no thanks for the offer on the MG. As someone once said, "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in a motorglider". so true it is. As I stated very early on the self launch is impressive, I could see myself buying one of those sometime in the future, but I would promise to never use the motor other than launching. Our visitor during the Safari displayed several takeoff's before the engine failed and required a tow, yet it was impressive to see that motorglider lift into the air void of any towplane.
Eileen has been eager to fly her 27 again so I guess I will be on the front end of the rope again this week, maybe she will be kind enough to come down early and let me go for a hop in the 27 , I think I have flown only 3 or 4 times since January. She also has a new polymer ballast to give her a bit more weight up front.
I spent the last few days getting the new club ship ready for the youth program which is really gaining new members with both male and female participants continuing to shine with their enthusiasm toward flying gliders. Looking forward to seeing that big bird lift into the sky, take care. Old Bob