Old April 26th 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 3:11:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one keeping polymer ballast with me on flights. I'd sure hate to need it and not have it while waiting for a retrieve lol

For a bear of little brain, and from the E side of the pond, would someone please explain the 'polymer ballast' in-joke?
J.

I guess the best way to describe it is one of those things some other countries don't have too much of, yet American's have considerably more of on average. Mine was designed in Croatia. My wife loves hers, and I have no fear of her being safe when driving home at night. I don't want to melt any snow. So I'll refrain from explaining it further. Plus I don't want to divert from the thread. The comment was made above about "Having it and not needing it rather than needing it and not having it" and it's a common saying in the responsible end of the ownership community.

I feel that having the capability of self launching when needed directly parallels, and if you are into it, the potential to self retrieve if you run out of talent does as well.

Hopefully the wind will behave so I can go for some pattern work in the DG505MB tomorrow.