Old April 28th 21, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On 4/24/2021 3:12 PM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Do you really believe Klaus Ohlmann and Jean-Marie Clément would have set their records in the Andes in a "pure" sailplane?
Instead, they flew each a Nimbus 4DM, I believe. "No safety advantage" - really? Will you say it's a special case?

That is just ludicrous.
Go read Jean-Marie's papers on the failure rate of his 4DM,
and understand the steps he took to maintain a landing option.
A summary of Jean-Marie's 4DM failures is in the OSTIV presentation I
did in 2020 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R--m0NDR0j8)