Old April 28th 21, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

I've owned my Stemme now for 5 years and have logged around 850 hours
(327 flights) on it. I think I've used around 80 engine hours during
that time which is about 15 minutes per flight (start, taxi, takeoff,
and cool down). I tow the glider from my hangar to the apron before
rigging.

And yes, I fly with a different mind set than I did in my LAK-17a: I
must be within range of a runway suitable to make a normal takeoff at
all times.

Dan
5J

On 4/28/21 3:06 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/28/2021 10:31 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yep, and wears out quicker.

Dan
5J

On 4/27/21 4:48 PM, waremark wrote:
cold engine develops more power.

The typical self-launcher puts maybe 5-10 hours a year on the engine. If
it only lasts 200 hours before a major overall, that's 20 to 40 years!
The Stemme is usual for a self-launcher because it's also a good
airplane, and 200 hours might be only two or three years.