Old April 30th 21, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Hawk Wind

On 4/29/2021 3:15 PM, jfitch wrote:
It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:27:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?

I don't think it uses magnetic sensing, as it does not require the optional
compass. So, it's all inertial and GPS, and I think doing it without a compass
was an important goal. 990eur for wind equal to the Butterfly, and a AHRS, is at
reasonable price for me. A separate AHRS is in the $800-$1000 range, so I'd bet
getting the Hawk features for about $200-$400 dollars with the Hawk/AHRS.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"