Old May 11th 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

Default What is your headset experience and solution?

I'm having a lot of trouble hearing that 50% portion of radio calls that have marginal modulation, wind noise, mumbling speakers, etc. The other 50% come through load and clear. Tired of needing to close my side vent, crank the volume, and ask for a repeat. I doubt a campaign to get everyone's xmit's up to 5 x 5 would go anywhere. Besides, they seem to be heard acceptably and communicate effectively with other pilots - so, it must be my old ears.
My speaker is ~15in behind my head and unobstructed so I don't think that is the issue. I'm thinking a headset would fix things for me and I'd really like to hear advice from those using them. I’m certain I can’t deal with heavy/sweaty over-the-ear earcups with head vise clamping . Flying out of Tucson so comfort in the heat is important. So, maybe the Telex Airman 750 or Clarity Aloft types? Others?
Since I’d like to maintain the existing speaker box and boom mic for backup, I’m thinking about a DPDT steering switch before my FSG 2T (the radio has 2 mic inputs to deal with the dynamic vs amplified difference). Other considerations?
I was also thinking really cheap and simple: generic music ear buds while continuing to use the existing boom mic.

Thanks, JJ (H8)