Old May 12th 21, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

Default What is your headset experience and solution?

Thanks jfitch, This sounds like a good setup. I noticed all the Plantronics stuff is now 'Poly' branded and the wired stuff is all USB connected these days. I'm going to start cheap with passive earbuds and use my existing boom mic. I like the idea of keeping the speaker active as backup. Leaving my earbuds behind or yanking the wire out is a real possibility but it becomes bearable with the speaker still squawking.

thx, JJ

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 2:20:57 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
I use the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. Some other cheaper ones may work as well, but I know the Bose ones do and they have tested well by independent testers. I use a Plantronics T50 lip mike that clips on my sunglasses. Originally the Bose were just for the motorglider takeoff, but very shortly I began leaving them on the entire flight. They are quite effective at reducing wind and vent noise, provided the vent isn't blowing directly on the noise cancellation mikes. I have the radio routed though the Bose, and just turn the vario up some from it's own speaker. The radio speaker is still active all the time as a backup. Less cockpit noise and less straining to hear the radio makes the whole flight quite a bit more peaceful. The radio is far more audible and intelligible and lower volume.