Old January 20th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Gyro PRECESSION

On Jan 19, 9:10 pm, "Steve R." wrote:

Where did you get that from? I'm not sure I agree with it. The
experimental gyros I've looked at may not have a swash plate like a
helicopter does but rather, tilts the rotor hub relative to the plane of the
rotor disk. The net effect of that is to apply a cyclic pitch action to the
main blades and they react 90 degrees in the direction of rotation per
gyroscopic precession.

What info source are you looking at?

Steve R.

Hi Steve,

I got my info from an article written by: Don McCoy, via regalpony.ca
and found on asra.org.au

A summary, in his own words: (gyroplanes)

The joystick is moved to the right causing the rotor head axis to tilt
to the right and out of alignment with the rotor axis. The pivoting
motion of the teeter bolt causes the pitch angle of the blades to van.
during the rotation. increasing the lift at the front and reducing it
at the rear. The resulting large torque due to the aerodynamic effects
of the change in pitch is directed to the right and causes the rotor
axis (angular momentum of the rotors) to rotate to the right following
the rotor head axis. As the rotor axis comes back in line with the
tilted rotor head axis, the pitch angle ceases to vary and the lift
from the front and rear rotor blade equalises, the torque vanishes and
the rotors are tilted to the right to initiate the turn.

It's a long article. I'm happy with his explanation as per gyroplanes.
i.e.: a gryoplane uses an unpowered rotor (as you know) and the whole
body of the gyroplane hangs from the gimble head. But on a helicopter,
the rotor is powered and operates like a fan, the helicopter body is
firmly fixed to rotor head.

anyway, what's your opinion of how precession works on a helicopter?