Old March 6th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

Default dirty oil

("Denny" wrote)
No one I know breaks the connections and drains the cooler at routine oil
changes...
if the oil is changed before it turns black then the oil cooler will not
have black sludge left in it.. The contained oil will be no dirtier than
what was drained and is diluted by the fresh oil...
Frequent oil changes is the solution...

Doing our (vehicle) oil changes, I drain the old oil. I use a "flush filter"
that goes on next. I add (less expensive oil) and run the car for 20
minutes - while I clean up from the first batch.

On my second oil change, the "flush filter" gets drained and returned to its
(labeled) box on the shelf. A fresh filter is used, then I add my good oil
and I'm all set.

When I do it this way in my cars, the oil stays golden (like new) for 3,000
miles. If I do it the normal way, my drain oil looks like ...drain oil,
after 3,000 miles.

Does anyone do this with their planes - an oil flush, then a change?

For our cars, it adds about $5 to a driveway oil change. I buy a new "flush
filter" every year.

Montblack-gold