Old November 18th 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

A Lieberman wrote:
What a flight I experienced yesterday! Got to do more things I never did
which made for such a wonderful learning experiences and also raised
questions in my mind (surprise, surprise!).

Allen, thanks for sharing your experience. I have about 1500 hours and I'm not
sure how many of that are IFR, but still don't have much experience with ice. I
attribute that more to luck than cleverness. Reading about others' experiences
is priceless.

The only added value I can provide is that I certainly wouldn't descend through
potentially icy clouds at 500 fpm. I got the impression that's what you were
suggesting, though I don't think you said it explicitly. You can safely come
down at, say, 1500 fpm with practice and considerably reduce the amount of time
of ice exposure.

[Aside: my friend took me flying in Sundowner 1940L and those were the flights
that piqued my interest in flying and got me started taking lessons. That plane
must have been coming down the assembly line right in front of yours.]

Dave