Old May 1st 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 2:56:24 PM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
Hi everyone

I just started glider flying lessons and I'M HOOKED!!! Unfortunately, the closest glider club is 3:45 hr drive away. I also live in an area that looks to me to be perfect for ridge soaring, with a range of mountains facing the west that runs for at least 85 miles, and possibly longer. We have an airport close by with a 4800' runway, about 2-3 miles west of the mountains. A friend is a CFI and A&P, and is interested in getting his "glider ticket" as well. There are a few other folks in the area that have expressed varying interest in flying gliders as well. But as it currently stands, no one (except one possible individual that I haven't yet talked to) in the area actually flies gliders. My friend and I have talked about the possibility of starting a local club. What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Hello John. I just learned about you from friends in Colorado today. While we are not a formal club, Big Sky Soaring is a small but active group of glider pilots, tow pilots and instructors operating here in Bozeman. We train in a 2-33 and a Duo Discus out of Bozeman and Three Forks Airports. We tow with a 260 Pawnee and we also winch launch on weekends at the Three Forks Airport with a winch that I designed and built. The winch has been highly successful. I designed and built it and would be happy to assist you in building a winch. Bottom line is that we as a group would be very happy to assist you get started. We can provide instruction for gliding, Tow pilot check outs, mountain flying and Winch launching at both ends of the rope. We train pilots for ridge and wave soaring on the Bridger Mountains. I am a glider DPE for all glider ratings including initial CFI. Check us out facebook.com/soaringbozeman/

If interested I can tell you the history of the club Kalispell club and the operation that was in Hamilton.