Old February 27th 04, 06:02 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:57:52 -0500, "Barry" wrote:

I think you're both missing a key point here. Unless I misunderstood Judah's
original post, he was cleared ARD direct 3N6. So leaving ARD, you go direct
to the airport - not to the IAF. Since the weather was good, the controller
no doubt was counting on a visual approach to avoid sending you out of the
way. If you want an instrument approach, you should request it. If unable to
navigate direct, then request vectors, but from the enroute chart it looks
like the ARD 090 would work pretty well..

There's no prohibition against accepting a clearance to go off airways direct
to a fix, but ATC can only issue this if you're under radar control.

Barry

Judah asked several questions in his post. I chose to respond to the
question about what his instructor may or may not have said.