Old February 16th 08, 09:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
展奄rdo

Default From CFB Baggotville, Quebec: IMG_0964mod001.jpg (1/1)

Jacques & Laurie wrote:
Thank you for that walk in history, sir. That is all true . . . Was under
the flag inthose days too . . .

Jacques

"展奄rdo" wrote in message
.uk...
Andrew Chaplin wrote:
"Jacques & Laurie" wrote in message
. ..
Xcuse me! . . .

Did you also know that CFB Bagotville was also referred to as "BAG
Town"? I have come to know it as such because every service man that I
knew in Canada called it as such. Endearing term, if you wish . . .

As far as I was concerned, I served with the "Air Force" in Canada
(1972-1977) even though WE all wore GREEN. Remember those days?

Jacques
(former corporal, CANADIAN AIR FORCE)
I first joined a unit that is widely known in Ottawa and The Royal
Regiment of Canadian Artillery as the "Bytown Gunners," but widespread
usage does not in any way make the name official.

It is fine to use colloquialisms like "Air Force" in places where they
will not confuse. You are, however, posting to an international forum
where not everyone is au fait with the National Defence Re-organization
Act, 1967, its disestablishment of the navy, army and air force as
services in Canada, and its establishment of the single service with
"forces" (regular, reserve and special) as the basis for managing
personnel establishments.

I really think that you should loosen up a bit.

It is highly unlikely that anyone, apart from you maybe, has any problems
with those who fly military aircraft in Canada being referred to as "air
force" as a means of identification. Similarly, for those who serve in
ground based, or sea based r犨es there is no problem with references to
"army" or "navy" in terms of their particular r犨es.

To quote a sombre note from the RCAF website: "The Canadian Forces
Reorganization Act came into effect on 1 February 1968. With that, the
identity of the RCAF, its records and its achievements, were laid to rest
in the pages of Canadian aviation and military history."

The same website, however, also confirms the right to an identity by
stating: "In 1999 the Canadian Air Force celebrated its Diamond Jubilee
after 75 years serving Canadians. With its current unified command
structure, new programs, and new aircraft Canadians can be proud of their
air force and look to the future with much optimism."

Canada's armed services have a proud heritage and have made a
disproportionate contribution to world security over a great many years,
and an act of parliament, passed for whatever reason, seemed an attempt by
some, it has been said, to dilute the spirit that made them great. It's
interesting that this was driven through parliament by Prime Minister
Pierre Trudeau and Defence Minister Paul Hellyer, both of whom seemed to
court controversy. Indeed, the attempt to abandon service traditions was
less than popular in some quarters as was the concept of one single
uniform and rank structure throughout, hence the fact that it was not
fully implemented across the board - personnel of Maritime Command, for
example, maintained their naval rank designations.

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Thanks Jacques,

We disregard or abandon our heritage at our peril!

展奄rdo

--
Moving things in still pictures!