Old April 13th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Something missing on the missed?

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

The airport I'm speaking about is Sacramento Executive (KSAC) (it is not
a TRSA). I didn't say separation of VFR traffic; I said separation between
me (IFR) and other VFR traffic.

I didn't say separation of VFR traffic either, I said there is no separation
provided to VFR aircraft in Class D airspace. That means no separation is
provided between an IFR aircraft and a VFR aircraft.

So I can see what you're talking about, can you provide some examples of
IFR services provided by a Class C tower (say, Sacramento Intl, for
example) that are not provided by the Class D tower (KSAC, in this case)?

Sure, in Class C airspace VFR aircraft are separated from IFR aircraft. But
that's not the issue, we're talking about VFR towers, or nonapproach control
towers, versus towers with an approach control.

Again, I'm just trying to understand what make this Class D a VFR tower.

Basically, it's the lack of authority or responsibility for airborne
separation between IFR and SVFR aircraft. Think of the VFR tower as owning
the runways and the overlying approach control or center owning the
airspace.

In practice, many VFR towers are delegated some responsibility for
separation; such as authority to approve SVFR operations below a specified
altitude or the initial separation of successive IFR departures. This may
be done in letters of agreement between the facilities or on an individual
basis.