Old December 24th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

Default 2008 Proposed US Competition Rules Changes

On Dec 24, 8:46 am, wrote:
On Dec 23, 11:32 pm, wrote:

On Dec 22, 5:31 pm, wrote:

The proposed rule changes for 2008 US competition soaring
are posted at SSA.org/sailplane racing/rules & process.
Input is welcome. Final rules proposals go to the SSA for publication
in the board "Blue Book" in mid January.
Seasons Greetings to all from the SSA Competition Rules Subcommittee
UH
H Nixon
Chair

Hank,
I have a question about task changing :
Will the Contest Director still be allowed to create a new task
when pilots are already in the air? We shouldn't have 50 pilots
playing with their computers under the same cloud base.

Ryszard Krolikowski RW .

A review of the proposed changes will show no change in the rules with
respect to
task calling or changing in the air. Experience over the years has
shown that the ability to
adjust the task to changing conditions to be a useful and valuable
tool when used properly.
UH- Hide quoted text -

Could you please give me a couple of examples when creating a brand
new task while gliders are in the air is useful?

I don't think creating a brand new task while gliders are already in
the air is the right thing to do from safety point of view. If a day
is problematic the contest director should create a number of tasks
and then call one of them if he needs to change. This would allow
participants to program their computers while still on the ground.

With all this talk about safety finishes why this problem has not been
discussed? I think the safety comity should act proactively instead
retroactively. Meaning we should not have a mid air to wake us up.

Regards,

AK